GET REAL POST
We beg to differ.

Jeane Lim Napoles… Guilty of What Exactly?

August 1, 2013
by Paul Farol

Jeane Lim Napoles is really getting viciously thrashed and pummeled on almost all social media platforms.  If there was ever hate on the internet, Jeane has been somewhat subjected to it on account of her mother, Janet Lim Napoles — who has been accused of masterminding the P10 Billion Pork Barrel Scam.

Using “Who Talking”, I found a couple of tweets that seem dripping with contempt for Jeane and I’ve screen capped a few just to give you a rough sampling of what is out there:

Tweets on Jean Lim Napoles, all soaked and dripping with contempt.

Tweets on Jean Lim Napoles, all soaked and dripping with contempt.

The venomous tirades directed at Jeane somewhat reminds me of the uproar over the “extravagance” of people like Imelda Marcos and her shoes; Erap’s women and Boracay Mansion; Chavit Singson; Lito Lapid; the menagerie of socialites involved in the DJ Montano/Brian Gorrel scandal; and others.

The hate online seems to have somewhat congealed like the rancid grease that flows through Binondo’s gutters and it made me wonder, why is Jeane being targeted in this vilification campaign?

More to the point, I asked friends on Facebook, “What crime can Jean be charged with?”

I think BenignO hit it dead center by pointing out that it’s just “Tough luck for the 23-year-old. Wrong place at the wrong time — kids do suffer from the sins of their parents. Ask Bongbong Marcos and he can very well relate.”

Fellow Get Realist ChinoF wrote: “What Jeane does is comparable to what Robbie Antonio of Century Properties is doing. But I wonder, why all the attention on Napoles? Even if it is proven she may be liable, bakit siya lang? All the others na liable din may be forgotten.”

Monsi Serrano, who is a columnist of Perk Up (A Philippine business and news forum online magazine), said: “the legal aspect or criminal is not yet established. I am not a lawyer to answer that question. But the morality of what she’s been doing is so disgusting, knowing that she can’t even explain where she gets (or her parents) get their wealth?”

Further on, Monsi added “If she (Janet Lim Napoles) truly worked hard for the money, it would be so easy to show the proof of income. What happens to the 10B Pesos Pork Barrel scam? This has not been answered yet under oath, or there is no closure yet.

“As I said, this happens in the Philippines — the lies and more web of lies woven become the truth. This applies to her and to all other corrupt people who will never admit even if they are lying through their teeth that they did it.

“One thing I know, the camp of Napoles has poured in a lot of money for her PR campaign team. Basta ako, I speak all my opinions in my columns, articles and post from my heart, as I see it. That will always be my belief. When I am wrong, I am willing to rectify or even face the consequence of my opinion, be it moral or legal consequence.”

JP Fenix, house husband and steak connoisseur, said “Only if she’s named officer and has signed docs on any of the ngos, companies or transactions. If she’s just a daughter spending mom’s money, then her actions are more evidence vs the mom.”

Ferdie Maglalang, former Malacanang Press Corps President and Remate Columnist remarked, “Nada, except that the PHL government (yes, the ever-zealous BIR Commish Kim Henares) will definitely run after where she is getting her money to support her lavish lifestyle. Probably, if Kim sees some discrepancy, then a tax evasion seems in order. But based on the photos circulating around the social media, the poor girl has not committed a crime, unless insensitivity or callousness to the pitiful plight of poor people is now a crime in the PHL.”

Taking it all together, I think that perhaps the larger part of the Filipino public on social media seems to have more or less rendered their judgement on Janet Lim Napoles and her daughter without the benefit of an actual court sentencing her guilty of the crimes she is accused of.

Anyway, Napoles lawyer Lorna Kapunan came out with a statement on the online morality fiesta over Jeane Lim Napoles:

In an interview with radio DZMM, Atty. Lorna Kapunan, said Napoles’ family is well-off because of their businesses abroad.

She said everyone should be proud of people like Jeane who excel in school.

Kapunan said she would also give expensive gifts to her children if they excel in school and if she had a lot of money from legitimate sources of income.

“I always say when I am asked, kung mayroon akong kayamanan ng kaunti at nakapag-magna cum laude ang aking anak sa isang US university, bibigyan ko din siya ng Porsche, bibigyan ko din siya ng Chanel kung afford ko. The bottom line is, afford nila. It is not ill-gotten wealth, they do not have a single contract with government. They have not owned a single peso from any of these public funds. They have their own money that they gave to their child who instead of persecuting, we should be proud of,” she said.

Unless of course, we’re really a nation that in its heart of hearts wants to be just Mayor Rudy Duterte and Ping Lacson who are reputedly all “judge, jury, and executioner”.

And just to be fair, let’s make mention of other rich people’s kids who have also been subjected to “moral outrage” but  are so far still out there and living it up like the social celebs that they are.

Rajiv Ramesh Dargani who reported rammed his Audi R8 into another Audi on McKinley Road in BGC which resulted in the death of one person and the maiming of another.

Divine Lee who some say is an officer of Globe Asiatique, the company of her father Delfin Lee, who is accused syndicated estafa in connection with a scheme where he supposedly spirited away billions of pesos from the Pag-IBIG Fund through a ghost-buyer scam.

Delfin DJ Montano who supposedly bilked some $70,000 from his gay lover Bryan Gorell.

Paul Farol

Christian. Husband and father. Writer and Blogger. Amateur grass grower and fruit tree enthusiast. Car washer and polisher. Lusts after tools and gadgets at Handyman, Ace Hardware, and Japan Home Depot.

More Posts - Website - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest

61 Comments

• ErikG says:

‘The thing is, if we believe in and advocate “the rule of law”, we shouldn’t be averse to other corny and quaint ideas like “innocent until proven guilty”, “right to due process”, “accuser has the burden of proof” and all that jazz.’

all that is well and good in a country with a mature democracy and a good justice system… but in the Philippines… come on back-log of cases, missing/tampered evidence and all those things… i too want to believe in the ideals that anyone is innocent until proven guilty but sadly in the justice system in the Philippines its tough to live up to this ideals…

• Paul Farol (@paulfarol) says:

I don’t think it’s a matter of preference. Presumption of innocence, right to due process, yada-yada-yada… These things are pretty much established principles.

To say that this can’t be followed because of the sorry state of our court system just doesn’t sound right at all.

• NeoGeo says:

The sorry state of your court system is due to the sorry state of Filipino mentality. That underlying reason is why established principles of justice cannot, and will never be, followed in the Philippines.

• Ronnie says:

Trial by publicity at it’s finest. The problem with social media is people tend to speculate & assume it to be true without evidence unless proven to be wrong otherwise. Pathetic!

それは最高に広報裁判。ソーシャルメディアの問題は、人々が推測&さもなければ間違ったことが証明されない限り、証拠がなくても真であるためにそれを想定する傾向がある。哀れな!

審判在它的最好宣傳。社交媒體的問題是人們往往推測與假定它是真實的,除非被證明是錯誤的,否則沒有證據。可憐!

Thử nghiệm bằng cách công khai lúc đó là tốt nhất. Vấn đề với phương tiện truyền thông xã hội là người có xu hướng suy đoán và giả định đó là sự thật không có bằng chứng trừ khi được chứng minh là sai khác. Thảm hại!

การพิจารณาโดยการประชาสัมพันธ์ที่ดีที่สุดของมัน ปัญหากับสื่อสังคมคือคนมักจะคาดเดาและถือว่ามันจะเป็นจริงโดยไม่มีหลักฐานเว้นแต่พิสูจน์แล้วว่าเป็นความผิดอย่างอื่น น่าสงสาร!

• ChinoF says:

This is what’s OA about the whole affair. People are slamming the daughter when the mom is the one in the hotseat. What the hell, punishing the daughter for the mom’s “sin,” which isn’t even confirmed? That’s unjust.

• hindi ba enough na guilty ang family nila na lagi lang sila nanalo sa mga government bidding specially time ni erap. in other words part sila sa corruption. tingnan lang natin ngayun na ma liquidate na ang porkbarrel funds kung ilang percent talaga ang ma pupunta sa project and ilang ma pupunta sa bulsa sa nag luto

• Paul Farol (@paulfarol) says:

FYI… nakalagay sa isang news report na abswelto yung asawa ni Janet Napoles sa kevlar helmet case.

Anyway, dito sa pork barrel, maganda talaga kung mahatulan na ng korte…

Kaso, hindi pa nililitis… hehe… guilty na.

• Aegis-Judex says:

Guilty until proven innocent…

And some people wonder why we have not devolved into a totalitarian mess.

• potaters says:

I for one don’t think she can be charged with anything but I *think* I can be annoyed with her and other similar personalities. See tag “rich kids of instagram”.

• Seth says:

She may not be directly involved in the scam about the pork barrel and may simply be benefiting from whatever excess income her family has acquired.

Perhaps the only “moral” crime she committed would be the sole indulgence to high end luxury goods at the expense of other people. The amount of money lavishly spent on her lifestyle is downright obscene.

Apathy. Avarice. Sloth. Pride.

Aren’t those something to be guilty for?

Or is everybody is crying foul due to envy?

• nick says:

i dont get what Paul Farrol what to achieve with this piece, you dont want us to judge Jeane… or if we want to judge her, also judge the others? hello, tapos na yun. iba naman ang nasa menu ngayun.

• kakaramput says:

oa kasi mga tao eh. dinadamay anak. pinagmumura. ok lang na paki alaman sya for proof pero yung pagmumura murahin. duh. what education did u get. hay naku. ang babaw ng ibang pinoy. i’m a pinoy pero gusto ko apihin tulad kong pinoy kasi minsan ang bobobobo nila… echosero. mahilig makita pagbagsak ng isang tao. mahilig pag pyestaan negative issues about tao. ang hilig nilang pag usapan ibang tao. mga chismosa!

• Julie says:

True. Pero meron din po na principle of “freedom of expression” and, in my humble opinion, karapatan ng mamamayang Pilipino na i-express ang opinyon nila sa internet.

Kasi naman dapat may disclaimer ang Instagram, Flickr, Twitter at Facebook — post at your own risk.

E maswerte po si Jeane, mayaman siya. Syempre ako na hamak na empleyado lang, inggitera. Ganon talaga. Hindi rin naman ako nagmamalinis.

Pero sa totoo lang, hindi po ba may kasabihan po tayo na “where there is smoke, there is fire”?

At may kasabihan din, “behind every great wealth is a great crime.”

Hindi ko po sinasabing may great crime na nangyayari dito. Pero sa totoo lang, ang ganda po kasi ng Chanel bag at Herve Leger dress ni Jeane. Super ganda at seksi din nya. So syempre napag-uusapan.

Ngayon, yung naga-associate sa pagkakaroon nya ng Chanel at Herve Leger sa diumano’y ma-anomalyang pinang-gagalingan ng kayamanan ng nanay nya, ang masasabi ko lang po ay: fiction din po ang Noli at Fili ni Jose Rizal. Pero diba bayani sya ngayon?

• jeanne says:

Disclaimer: I’m not the Napoles girl in the article. If I am, I won’t be worried and praying for my next paycheck.

I have to say that this new story and other related stuff went under my radar due to excess of work. At first, when I saw her pictures, so I was really shocked. How I wish I could trade lives with her. I read this article two days to make me certain of my feelings and yes, I do envy her to a certain extent because let’s face it, who doesn’t want that insane amount of money?
    However, as much I would want to play judge and jury silently but surely over this girl and the issues surrounding her, I cannot help that admit that yes, I did suffer a lapse. Even if she did pay in ‘legitimate’ money, it shows me how much the thickness of the face of some people. Granted that there are people who are like that but I guess this is where discretion comes in.
    In any controversy, people focus on the person/s involved and not necessarily the issue. And we all know that trial by publicity can be harder than any legal punishment. I would imagine that her social life will not be same again. If it does survive, her name won’t be the same thing anymore to society. It is, I guess, the way we even things out. Rich people can buy justice but with social media nowadays, one stupid post will land you in social Siberia.
    People, or the masa, might be getting hyped over this but I also share the assumption that if the accusations are true, is it possible that I contributed to that girl’s comfort via illegitimate means? I don’t know what would be my exact reaction if I know that my taxes are spent on a girl’s whims.
    But I will give the benefit of the doubt as long as I can. I just don’t know how much and for long. I just hope things add up soon and the stench of doubt will be cleared. Or else, I might just ask for their heads.
    Regarding maturity as society, even the first world countries can trip over themselves. See Edward Snowden

• Meril Feliz says:

Saw the news! Now guilty of what? Revise your title!

• Shunjo says:

If she is not guilty and has nothing to hide, then why does she have to delete her social media accounts? And right after her mom’s scandal broke out???

• mike says:

Nagmamarunong naman author nito. Research state action doctrine muna bago ka magsulat bugok. Bakit mu kami pipigilan to judge her BASED ON PRESUMPTION OF INNOCENCE? We are not the State, you cannot invoke that on us.
    Cge nga, kung tingin mu nagbaviolate kami because we judge her, hindi mu ba vinaviolate ang right to free speech namin kapag pinagsabihan mu kami na wag ivoice out yung saloobin namin? Wag kang magpalusot na ndi absolute ang free speech, alam ko din mga exceptions nyan.
    Sa legal aspect lang muna tayo ha.
    Ang yabang kasi ng paggamit mu sa mga terms eh. Anu pa nga bang ieexpectko, sa profile mu pa lang self-righteous ka na

• jen says:

freedom of speech has it’s limitation. if your only goal is to criticize, better keep quiet. kaya nga we have the saying na. if you have nothing good to say, better shut up. comment mo pa lang, ibabash mo ang writer, mayabang? anu kinalaman ng kayabangan sa article? yes, hi highfalutin words gagamitin nya, matalino sya e. on the other aspect, ikaw kaya lagay mo sarili mo sa upuan ni janet at tarantado magulang mo. ikaw sisihin, tama ba yun?

• bool shoot says:

and voicing out our outrage against these fuckin thieves is a limitation? c’mon, jeanne. if you have nothing good to say, just shut up!

• nu says:

now, what can u say mr blogger? if there were no public outcry at di naisawalat lavish lifestyle eh di sana nalifestyle check napoles at nasabi ng bir kim na di raw angkop sa lifestyle nila and properties nila tax na binabayaran nila na accd to rappler ay mas mababa pa sa ordinary teacher, na ang coal business nila ay not enough to generate that much money angkop sa lifestyle nila. na accd to coa ay marami nga sa pdaf ay assoc sa ngo ni mrs napoles. na ang mga paring nagtestigo against benhur na siya raw ay di nadetain at nagretreat for 3 months ay under sa payroll ni mrs napoles, na even previous kasamahan ni mr napoles says sila ay biglang yaman at di nga kayang bayaran utang, na pinatotohanan ni mr badeo na may mga papers na pinamumudmod sina napoles sa mga politicians para sa ngo nila. trial by publicity? alangan naman na lahat ng ito ay galit lang at naiingit lang kay napoles? at if you say na dapat innocent until proven guilty, why are they hiding now?….. sige nga , masagot mo nga mr blogger. remember, if ok lang sa iyo ipakain sa kanila tax mo, wag mo na idamay tax ng iba.

• Paul Farol says:

Unang-una Nu, hindi ko ipinagtatanggol si Janet Napoles at nagkakamali ka kung ganun ang iniisip mo.

Pangalawa, sa lahat ng mga sinulat ko tungkol kay Janet Napoles, isa lang ang sinasabi ko eh simple: Kung may ebidensyang lumabag nga siya sa batas, dapat kasuhan na kaagad o sa lalong madling panahon. Pero, ayon sa mga pahayagan, ang kinaso ngayon kay Janet Napoles ay KIDNAPPING kay Benhur Luy — hindi plunder, syndicated estaffa, embezzlement o anu pang krimen na may kinalaman sa pagnanakaw sa kaban ng bayan. Bakit kidnapping ang kinaso at hindi plunder?

Pangatlo, ang pinupuntirya ng maraming tao at naging dahilan ng pagsulat ko ng blogpost na ito ay si Jeane Lim Napoles — yung anak ni Janet. Kaya nga ang title ng blog post na ito ay “Ano ang kasalanan ni Jeane?” Para masabing may sala si Jeane, kailangan munang mapatunayan sa Korte na may sala ang ina at may kinalaman si Jeane sa ginawang kasalanan ng ina nya. Tumulong ba sya sa sinasabing pagnanakaw ni Janet sa kaban ng bayan? Yun ang tanong ko.

At ikahuli, ang problema na hindi nakikita ng karamihan dahil masyadong nakatutok sa mababaw na mga isyu, ay ang hindi pag-respeto sa mga karapatan ng akusado at ang pagpapasasa sa tinatawag na Vigilantism. Trial by publicity ang nangyayari kay Janet at sa pamilya nito, pero ang dapat kay trial sa tutoong korte kasi – gaya ng sinabi mo — maraming ebidensya. Kapag trial by publicity, kahit anong akusasyon pwedeng gawin at kapag pinaniwalaan ay maaring humantong sa pagpaparusa nang hindi dumadaan sa korte natin. Kung gusto nating maging may kaayusan at pagsunod sa batas, kailangan idaan lahat ng mga isyung ganito sa korte.

Ang karapatang tinanggal kay Napoles ay karapatan nating lahat at ang pagsuporta sa pagbabali-wala nito ay pagkitil sa karapatan nating lahat. Kung may kasalanan, idaan sa tamang proseso — kasuhan, usigin, at hatulan.

• bool shoot says:

u sound really biased though.. deny it, but u do.. now don’t talk about rights if you don’t respect the rights of people who were outraged by the wrongdoings of your beloved napoleses

• kat says:

jeane is of age. she is, as her mother’s lawyer and everybody else in her circle claims, really smart. a smart person is inquisitive — surely, at one point or the other, she must have been curious about what her parents do for a living, unless she’s just too selfish and doesn’t care where the money comes from as long as she gets to spend it. now if her mother is guilty, how can she put up with it? again, we are not talking about a child who can’t know any better.

if by chance (a really small percentage in my opinion though), janet napoles is not guilty of pocketing taxpayers’ money, then why did jeane have to close all her social media accounts? a “smart”, confident person with a clear conscience to boot won’t go running away and instead face whatever challenge head on because they KNOW they are armed with truth and integrity. things just aren’t adding up to the family’s favor.

i think in the end, what matters is that people get to have their say. jln kept talking before she went in hiding why can’t the public exercise the same right?

• suckmedck says:

I really hate her mother, no doubt about it, pero sa opinion ko lang, bakit inaatake si jeanne, her daughter ng sobra-sobra. honestly, nainis din ako kay jeanne, but i just realized, na hndi nman siya dapat ang gawing punching bag d2 kasi hndi lang nman siya ang nag benefit doon. malas lang siya na pinost nya lahat i2 sa kanyang blog.

• Ella says:

Jeane garduated as magna-cimlaude in one of the US university..that means she’s really a clever, she should know the meaning of humanity.Perhaps she wanted to envy her by posting all the extravagant luxurious’ whims. Does this girl reaaly know where their wealth coming from? as an intelligent girl, she must be aware of kung saan ba talaga nanggagaling ang pera nila, talaga bang kaya ng magulang nya na gstusan siya ng ganon kabongga..saan ba nagsimula ang negosyo naila..she’s now 21 years old, from the beginning ba mayaman na talaga sila?saan nanggaling ang pinuhunan sa negosyo nila? o common jeane, huwag mong sabihin na you’re just their child and hindi dapat isinasangkot sa kasalanan ng magulang..ibig mong sabihin after ka lang sa kapritso mo na hindi iniisip ang perang pinaghirapan ng magulang mo e basta basta nalang wawaldasin..Maluho ka din na walng iniisp kundi makuha ang gusto mo.

• Ella says:

to add, bilang isang matalino at matinong anak,, hindi ka man lang ba nagtatanong o napaguusapan nyo na bakit kayang kaya kang gastusan ng ganun kahulo..ako kasi bilang anak I have an instinct sa kung papano nagyari sa pinaghirapan ng magulang ko.. hindi kakayanin ng lifestyle nyo ngayon ang halaga ng kinikita nyo sa negosyo base sa tax na binabayaran nyo. Kung dinadaya man ang pag-file ng tax ng negosyo nyo, kaso pa din yun. Hindi dapat pinagmukhang tanga at bobo ang masang Pilipino ng magulang mo. Sorry ka at nadamay ka sa kasalanan ng magulang mo, yan ang kabayaran sa sobrang kapritso mo! Na-trial by publicity kayo dahil sa kayamanan hindi naman angkop sa inyong kabuhayan at pinagmulan. So, dahil nagpadala at nasilaw ka sa luho na inakala mong sa inyo, na hindi ka man lang nagtaka sa kabila ng katalinuhan mo na ganun ba talaga kayo kayaman, sbi nga there’s a difference of people getting “smart” and people getting “high grades”.

• Ella says:

*people being “smart”… smarte ka lang malamang sa pagpapasoyal.. yun ang naging kasalanan mo. bilang isang anak naging matalino ka sana at responsable sa mga baagy na alam mong sobra sobra.

• Leb says:

Usually controversial cases having national interest implication like this Napoles case generate too much attention to the point that people cannot control themselves to share their two-cents on the issue. And they have all the right to get emotional and animated especially when it’s their money, so to speak, that is the subject of the controversy.

For benefitting from the wealth accumulated by their parents thus enjoying and amassing material wealth themselves, are kids as guilty as their parents on cases like this?

For those infuriated and emotionally drain for seeing too much red because of anger, they surely fit the bill. For them, people who benefit from corruption, such as the children, have the same dirty hands as their parents. However, that usually reflects on public opinion.

Surely, the children are most often victims themselves for they have no hands nor participation in their parent’s indiscretion.

As to the subject (Jeane Lim N.) of this piece, I think her participation, if she’s involve, in the whole affair will be clarified once a case is filed and the Napoles is given their day in court.

• skye says:

To answer everyone’s question why Jeanne Napoles is being targeted, remember, the hurt of the daughter is a million times the hurt of the mother. That is how life works.

Also, hindi exaggerated ang lahat. If you are a legitimate business owner paying legitimate taxes on time, you would be disheartened on where your taxes COULD’VE gone. A mere accusation is also as good as half truths. Ikaw kaya magtrabaho sa sarili mong kumpanya, paghirapan since nung 20s ka pa at ngayong malago na at nagbabayad ka ng million million na taxes every month para lang sa kapalit na magoperate dito sa Pilipinas ang business mo, tapos malalaman mo na ung million million na un ay may posibilidad na napupunta sa mga bulsa ng tao na hindi naman nila pinaghihirapan.na parang dinukot lang nila kung san san. Tapos makikita mo ung lifestyle nila, hollywood. Eh ikaw nga na 40years na pinaghihirapan ang pera mo, ay hindi magawang gastusin ng ganun un. Hindi ka kaya magalit? maoffend?

The statement “everybody is innocent until proven guilty” may be applicable to some crimes. But when a crime is done with a nationwide, or even worldwide, effect, hindi na applicable. Ano na ngyari sa studyante na nagpakamatay noon dahil wala siyang pambayad ng tuition? Hindi ba job ng gobyerno un? Lives are lost because of this. Investments from foreign countries are depleting because of this.

Given the state of our nation, OFWs everywhere, our population is at a working age, young and strong, yet our country is not considered “rich.” Samantala ung mga OFWs remittances pera padala na yan ay “free money” to the Philippines! Dapat sobrang yaman na ng Pilipinas!

The Philippines is reacting in the right way. Finally, the Filipinos have awakened. I don’t trust the administration. Because the current administration is the son of the mother of pork barrel. I’m not buying it.