GET REAL POST
We beg to differ.

How to explain Pinoy Pride to a foreigner

September 22, 2012
by FallenAngel

Jessica Sanchez, one of the latest symbols of Pinoy Pride, came to the Philippines for the American Idol finalists’ concert last Friday, September 21. Now if you all remember who Charice (Pempengco) is, her manager Courtney Blooding came out with a rather innocent and innocuous tweet where she asked “why do the Philippines claim Jessica Sanchez?” Philippine media and Filipinos, predictable as ever, picked up on it, and even sparked a discussion and hashtag on Twitter #PINOYpride. Some Pinoys even tweeted replies to her rather strongly.

Why don’t we try answering Ms. Blooding’s question calmly and logically, for a change?

Let us get straight to the point: Filipinos claim Jessica Sanchez (as one of their own) because they know how to do little else. Filipino pride (or diminutively, Pinoy pride) is a hollow knee-jerk reaction of Filipinos whenever someone with a semblance of Filipino blood makes it big outside the Philippines. And it is this Pinoy pride that makes them react the same way, each and every time.

Let me explain this further by elaborating three (3) characteristics of Pinoy pride:

Filipinos are saddled with a massive inferiority complex

The biggest tell-tale sign of Pinoy pride is that Filipinos need validation from foreigners that they exhibit/possess good qualities. This to me is a sign of a massive inferiority complex. You’ve got to admit though that perhaps almost 400 years of being under foreign influence has had adverse effects on the self-esteem of a nation. The thing is, look at the Japanese. Why did they rebound very quickly after being devastated during the Second World War? How were the Germans able to rebound after being bombed to smithereens? There has to be something else that’s keeping the Filipino from progressing.

Oh yes, Filipinos are not loyal to a higher collective ideal that is a “nation”. They are loyal at best to their clans, at worst, to themselves. There is no collective “Filipino” to speak of, only several indigenous ethnic groups living among and despite each other. If Filipinos refuse to come together how can you expect them to appreciate for themselves what gold lies in them/in front of them?

And to illustrate this point further, one only has to see that a by-product of Ms. Blooding’s tweets is an ongoing comparison among Filipinos of who is better: Jessica or Charice. Isn’t there enough room to like both of them? Why does everything have to be a false dichotomy for Filipinos? Why do individual Filipinos have to insist that their personal choice is better than someone else’s? This, again, to me, is yet another manifestation of that inferiority complex we collectively suffer as a people.

Filipinos have no collective achievement to speak of

As is the case with Jessica, Lea Salonga, Manny Pacquiao, and Charice, to name a few, Filipinos have hailed the individual accomplishments of Filipino artists abroad and trumpeted them as collective accomplishments of the entire Filipino ethnic group. Whether or not you agree with me, I assert that this is a fallacious and utterly ridiculous and stupid thing to do. These people succeeded because they put in the hard work needed to succeed, and not because of their Filipino heritage.

Filipinos do this as an escape to the reality that as an ethnic group they have no collective achievement to speak of. They are predisposed to be lazy, and prone to take the easy way out, which is why they exhibit this behavior. It is much easier to project yourself onto a successful person than it is to make yourself one.

Filipinos do not posses the operational efficiency of the Singaporeans. They do not exhibit the discipline of the Japanese. They have no engineering capability like the Germans. They have no martial tradition to speak of. These are all too hard for them.

Filipinos do not recognize gold that’s staring them in the face

Filipinos have the unenviable position of comprising a society that doesn’t know gold even if it’s hiding in plain sight. On top of that, they are a society renowned for perverting ideas and for turning gold (once they’ve seen it) into utter crap. Where else would you find a street revolution glorifying mob rule trumpeted as “democracy”?

If you’re looking for an example, look no further than the four (4) names I mentioned above. These people would not have become what they are now had they stayed in the Philippines. Filipinos are not the type to invest in developing talents long-term; they want immediate returns, and they want them NOW. After they’ve bled you dry, they dispose of you.

Filipino society is, by default, one that values mediocrity, conformance, and deference to elders above innovation, imagination, and out-of-the-box thinking. The minute Filipinos sense someone or something sticking out, they pull it back down. Filipinos ostracize people and ideas that are different; they are predisposed to judge these instead of trying to understand and learn from them.

Here are several more quotables from Ms. Blooding:

Source 1

Source 2

“why do the Philippines claim Jessica Sanchez? Jessica was born an raised in the US. I don’t THINK she speaks tagalog.

“which, to me, makes her true American. How many people in the US come from mixed cultural backgrounds? We r a melting pot.

“AND I just read that this concert is her first ever trip to the Philippines….

“isn’t a Filipino passport kind of a big indication of citizenship and a lack of one a big indication of no citizenship?”

“If only the people of the Philippines would stop looking elsewhere and focus on local things, maybe they could see the value of many of of the great people and resources there. Many great things and people there. It’s just a group mentality that it’s not good enough.

“It’s kind of a turn off to a foreigner such as myself cuz it can come across as ungrateful for the talent and resources god gave.”

“there is room for everyone an people will love or hate no matter what. But I just think it’s kind of wrong to say Jessica is part of Filipino pride when she is American before anything else.

“I mean if she had to mark on a form a particular country or culture, what would be? I assume American,”

“Please don’t condemn me for asking a cultural question,”

Well, sorry to disappoint you, Ms. Blooding. Filipinos condemn themselves routinely for asking cultural questions, what more foreigners? Not to say that it’s right, but they do it just as a scorpion can’t help but sting.

[Photo courtesy OKMagazine.com.]

FallenAngel

Wer mit der Herde geht, kann nur den Ärschen folgen - whoever runs with the flock, can only follow ass.

More Posts - Website - Twitter

152 Comments

• Bituin monte says:

There is nothing wrong with “Pinoy Pride”. There’s something wrong with Filipinos who boast and call it “Pinoy Pride”.

• Liezl Borbon says:

it’s the media’s fault. Since they started to make such battlecry, Filipinos began to say it when someone makes it big in hollywood… But if we look at the brighter side of it, I think their real reason is because they wanted to encourage Filipinos to believe in themselves. They wanted to put in our minds that despite poverty and despite living in a third world country, We can make extraordinary things just like what the people in the first world do also… I guess this is what it really means it just turned out that Filipino people became so exaggerated that we even make a big deal with too little things.

• Bituin monte says:

There are instances when “pinoy pride” is appropriate. The revolution against Spain and the resistance against the occupying US forces were collective and heroic acts. These are examples we should be proud of. There are admirable efforts by a lot of Filipinos today which we can be proud of but they just go unnoticed.

When Pinoys feel proud of the individual achievements of athletes and entertainers, it’s just a different kind of pride, it’s more of admiration. Surely we can distinguish these from heroic acts. They are achievements nonetheless.

I do not understand is how fallen angel could come up with a general conclusions about “the pinoy” based on traits that apply only to some. I don’t think everybody’s saying “Pinoy Pride” when it comes to these individual achievements. Not even those who attended the Idol concert with JS.

Yes, the trouble is the media frames this admiration and support as part of pinoy pride. And once they do that, some people assume that it represents everybody’s sentiments.

• christy says:

Yes, I know where you’re coming from when this criticism applies to a certain group. Unfortunately, these netizens, these jejemonic-minded ‘children’ make the most noise around every time I get to youtube, and other blogs when it gets our culture involved.

The only way to deal with them is to put these squeaky little nitwits, who can’t even brook ANY sort of criticism, to their places. These may be a few, but they’re mighty deadly when they come to attack on just anyone who comments on anything not pleasing to the filipino ears. If you don’t like being lumped with the group then don’t get offended. Instead, you tell these immature almost brain-dead netizens to grow up and learn what self-reflection is all about.

These group of filipinos must’ve grown up somehow stunted and sheltered for not being taught by their parents where they’re wrong. Perhaps they’ve been told constantly ‘oh you’re such a special child’ even when these children have already been caught red-handed with such shameless acts of immaturity. Thus, they become another worm to finish up society.

This notion of pride that I come across here is more depressing than something to be exalted about. How can anyone shamelessly flaunt pride on anyone who hasn’t even touched the philippine soil for ages, has not even been born here, hasn’t been trained locally (take note little cretins) when we have as much talented, hardworking locals who struggle their way through just to let people know there is still hope in our music industry?

We have great engineers, teachers (my mum is one of them), great IT developers, and yet I can’t even hear a squeak from our own countrymen over how proud they are for the little benefits that they’ve contributed to our society. Where’s the pride in there, huh?

• ChieLad2 says:

i couldn’t agree more….

• CheechChong says:

Jose Rizal, this is the person I think of when I’m asked about Pinoy Pride. It’s what you have done for your country. Do something that would benefit the Filipino people without thinking about yourself, then you’ll get my vote.

Feed the hungry, do some charity work, help the less fortunate Filipinos. It’s not how many fans you’ve got because of your singing prowess, your punching power, this shouldn’t be the basis of Pinoy Pride.

Manny Paquiao, Arnel Pineda, Lea Salonga and Charice to name just a few, these Filipinos have contributed greatly through their charity work all over the country and had helped our country to be recognized around the world that it’s not just a country of caregivers and domestic helpers.

As for Jessica, I can’t say I know much about her, what she’s done for the Philippines, besides getting second runner up on American Idol and I’m guessing that she did that for herself and her family and wasn’t thinking about Pinoy Pride when she entered the contest.

As I see it, Jessica is only being used by the producers of AI just for their own benefit. They did the same with Tia Megia. They cashed in with ticket sales when AI went to the Philippines for a concert. Why? Because of Pinoy Pride, they saw this and they are cashing in. Does anyone know what happened to Tia? Is she still with the producers of AI? Did she get a record deal?

Don’t let this Pinoy Pride be something that parasites from other countries could use to cash in.

Filipinos are proud people, lets be reminded of the real reason why, think of Jose Rizal.

• Bituin monte says:

Attaching  “Pinoy Pride” on just about anything achieved by somebody of Filipino descent somehow cheapens the term “Pinoy Pride”. That’s what happens  with words, though. A lot of times they evolve into something different than their intended meanings. I would prefer the term to be used for acts that are collective and for efforts that help us culturally, not for acts that only reinforce in us foreign biases which make us disregard our own, and not for acts that glorify just the individual.

The issue now is how the term “Pinoy pride” is being used. There are times when people see somebody else’s achievement as an opportunity to brag and boast. This is just pathetic. We cannot attribute individual achievements to race or nationality. But in the same way, we also should not generalize when we’re talking about individual follies. We can not blame an entire race for the stupid things that some of us do.

• cheezmiss says:

This post explains why we claim Jessica Sanchez and any Fil Ams or Fil Whateverians as our own.
    more than pinoy pride, it’s the Magellan inside all of us.

• Dado says:

Mabuhay ka FallenAngel =)

This article should be shared…..

• monk says:

Actually, they do possess such discipline, as seen in views of overseas workers by foreigners.

The problem is that the US and other countries removed protectionist policies for the country decades ago, leading to chronic economic crisis.

• tonyo says:

Wow, even the comments here are outdoing each other, an example of what exactly this article all about as describe by the author.

• dumbestseni says:

Please see some of my answer to negative comments posted here:

i remember those days in Europe, where we met Pilipinos working from the White House. we called them “hey you Americans!” they answered yes they are Americans, but they whispered to us “we are still Pilipinos, look at our skin and our nose”. Wow! those are people with wide experience is life, who have exceptional job really high, and they want to be consider as Pinoys… They even gave us contact numbers that when some of us went to DC, they gave a good tour of the White House.

I then realized, it is really all about attitude, and they posses the most important one which is Attitude of gratitude. That no matter what they attained in life, they are grateful to where they come from, that they won’t deny it for whatever reasons, they are proud to be Pinoys, although most of them where born in the USA.

Those days gave me lessons in life, because i started to observed people who have gained tremendous success in life, and i found that they are the most grateful people on earth. why? because when you become very successful in life, you want to tell everyone that hey! what’s in me that made me extraordinary?
    Their third world country genes do not become an issue anymore… instead they are so grateful for it.

Seni Gaid

• Jack says:

Pinoy Pride…hmmmm?

I know a pinoy when I see one or hear a couple of them. In a restaurant, a group of Pinoys would be the loudest. I would hear their conversation even if I’m like 3 tables away. The locals give them a stare and they get even louder. That was in London.

Pinoys usually find a way around a line at the airport. The most usual thing they do is cut in line and pretend they didn’t. When accosted, they react two ways, both of them insincere. They say sorry, but never attempt to move out of the line. Do they really mean “Sorry for you I am now ahead of you”? The other way is to be oblivious of everything around them and when reminded that cutting in line is very rude, they get hostile, raise their voices and argue about who owns the airport? “why, do you own this airport?” they ask in a very angry manner. This happens in any airport in the world.

Pinoys have this very distinctive trait when it comes to empty seats next to them. In a restaurant, an airport boarding gate, or almost everywhere, they would place their purse or bags or anything on the seat next to them, even if people are standing and looking for a seat to sit on. When someone politely asks for the seat, they do take out their stuff, but in a very very annoyed manner… and grumble. Many, will answer back that the seat is reserved. This is really hard to understand since reserved seating is, well….reserved for particular events, not at airports or eating places. When told that what they are doing is rude and simply not civil, they will shoot back at you “Why, Do you own this chair?” I don’t get that argument either.

There are a few Pinoys I have met who do not display such behavior, but usually they have lived outside the Philippines for quite awhile. Sadly too, there are those who lived in the US for a long time, and yet insist in displaying such behavior.

I took a PAL flight a couple of times (pre-9/11)to Manila and there was one thing that amused me, all the liquid amenities in the lavatory had no caps. I had a chance to chat up a stewardess and asked her if she noticed it? Her answer floored me, she said “it’s policy, we leave them without the cover so people wont steal them and take them home.” So I pointed out to her that the guy on the aisle seat two rows from me, had the moisturizer, the mouthwash, and the lotion and was slipping it in his hand-carry. He plugged them with toothpicks! It wasn’t the last time I saw it happen.

Are these things what makes up Pinoy Pride, they seem to be proud in displaying such behavior?

Last thing, Vivaldi is one of my favorite composers. Tchaikovsky is another. Rachmaninoff is way up there too. I also like Taylor Swift and George Jones, and lately I like Psy because I think he is fun. I like Lea Salonga because I remember her from Mulan and Les Mis. I may know some of their nationalities, but just like the rest of the world, we know them by their songs, their talent and hardly care about their ethnicity.

So what’s with Jessica Sanchez? She sounds American, talks American, is American. Don’t tell me she looks Filipino, even if she does, it doesn’t preclude the fact that an American can look white, black, Asian, Hispanic or a combination of any of the above. Do Filipinos have to look “Filipino” to be Filipino? Is that part of Pinoy Pride too?

Really…Seriously, what is this thing called Pinoy Pride, is it like Balout?

• dumbestseni says:

Would like to post something here for you. i would reply to your post later on, maybe you will understand me then better:

THE ESSENTIAL FILIPINO
      discovering dreams

a british journalist breezed into manila
      with an assignment to write
      about ‘the essential filipino’
      he smiled confidently over his easy assignment
      relishing the free tour as complementary reward

for three days, he ran around searching
      he rejected the business district of makati
      which reminded him of cold calculating london
      he went to historical places in intramuros
      but saw only a glimpse of the past not the present

next he tried the native cuisine at market market
      delicious yes but nothing on the essential filipino
      he was getting not only tired but also nervous
      that he has not found his ‘easy’ story yet
      time was running out, he had to go back in two days

he wasted the next day on inconsequential probes
      into malls, churches, monuments
      on his last day, he wrote his editor saying that
      no one can possibly write about the essential filipino
      in so short time, he asked for an extension

he was expecting a week, the editor was kind
      but he was given only one lousy day extension
      in desperation, on his last day
      he took a wild stab at marketplaces
      in singalong, he sat on a curb too tired to think

then he realized his mistake
      he was looking for places not people
      the thought hit him like a terrorist’s bomb
      the essential filipino is a person not a place
      how stupid could he be, he thought

sitting on the curb in exasperation
      he began looking at faces that passed by
      he noticed a boy selling fishballs from a rolling cart
      he had a torn shirt and was barefoot
      what attracted him was not the fishballs

the boy gyrated like michael jackson
      unmindful of the noisy crowd around him
      the journalist approached him
      noticing the headphones he wore
      he instantly realized it was loud music

music that drowned the noise
      and transported the boy into his inner garden
      the journalist had to scream
      in order to bring him back into the real world
      the boy removed the headphones

*****************

JOURNALIST
      Hey, what are you doing?

BOY
      Fishballs, sir, wanna buy?

Nice earphones, huh?

THE BOY GIVES THE EARPHONES TO THE JOURNALIST, WHO PUT THEM ON. HE INSTANTLY REMOVES IT, ALMOST FALLING FROM THE DEFEANING ROCK MUSIC. THE BOY SMILES AND PUT HIS EARPHONES BACK ON.

JOURNALIST
      Hey, wait, we’re talking.

THE BOY REMOVES THE EARPHONES AND HANDS HIM THE TINY MP3 PLAYER FROM HIS POCKET. THE JOURNALIST EXAMINES IT.

JOURNALIST
      Where did you get this? This is expensive, first-class mp3 player with first-class earphones. Don’t jive with your shirt.

HE FLICKS THE HOLE IN HIS SHIRT.

BOY
      I saved income from selling fishballs for one whole year just to buy that. Nice huh?

JOURNALIST
      Why don’t you buy a new shirt and shoes?

BOY
      No need. Not important. Waste of hard earned money. Clothes don’t make me happy, only music.

JOURNALIST
      You kill yourself selling fishballs the whole day for a year just to buy those?

BOY
      Why not? What would you buy? What is your dream? Me, my dream is now real. I don’t need shirts and shoes, just a dream of dancing to music becoming real. What is your dream?

AT FIRST, THE JOURNALIST IS AT A LOSS FOR WORDS BECAUSE HE REALLY HAS NO ‘DREAM’ IN MIND, OR PERHAPS HIS DREAM IS TO FILE A STORY, THAT IS ALL, BUT THAT IS NOT REALLY A ‘DREAM’. A DREAM MUST BE SPIRITUAL AND FOREVER.

JOURNALIST
      I guess I have no dream. Or yes I have a dream but it is not a good dream.

BOY
      Too bad. You must be very sad. Buy yourself an mp3.

JOURNALIST
      But that is not my dream.

BOY
      So what is your real dream. There must be something you really really like.

JOURNALIST
      I have been working so hard to survive that I forget what I really really like. My life is work work work.

BOY
      But I also work work work. Let me tell you how to have a dream.

******************

and so the british journalist
      was beginning to discern the essential filipino
      he was amazed how in his dire poverty
      the boy rejected the very materialism
      that was gradually destroying affluent society

the essential filipino was a free spirit
      who was poor and happy all at once
      perhaps it came from his insular environment
      or from his distant past, his austronesian roots
      of nomads in tiny boats roaming the vast seas

the journalist took out a notebook
      and started writing frantically
      the boy peers into his writing, trying to read
      and he says aloud ‘essential filipino … free spirit
      spiritual dreams … nomadic boat people …

*****************

BOY
      (Grabbing the notebook.) I know this is your dream. You just don’t know it. What you write here is your dream.

JOURNALIST
      (Stunned at the boy’s perception.) I … I … I guess so.

BOY
      It is not a guess. You know it. Once you know your dream, you must get it, or else you will be very sad and soon you will die because you know you have no more reason to live for. You cannot live just to live, can you?

JOURNALIST
      Guess not. Thank you for telling me my dream.

ALMOST IN TEARS, THE JOURNALIST HUGS THE BOY AND GIVES HIM A HUNDRED PESO BILL. THE BOY IS STUNNED.

BOY
      What for?

JOURNALIST
      Because you help me find my dream that was right in front of my nose all this while.

BOY
      Yes, you cannot see things that are too near. You have to move back to see.

JOURNALIST
      Go, buy yourself more music.

**********************

it took thirty minutes for the journalist
      to write his story at his hotel
      in ten electronic milliseconds
      the story was at the editor’s desk
      the editor replied

‘this is the best story yet for a long time
      our journalists often write about absurd things
      but what you wrote
      is an important wisdom for the affluent world
      stay there for a month and write me more’

the journalist had a field day
      his dream, like the boy, was now a reality
      he would hang around with street vendors
      later, he moved to the countryside
      and talked to farmers and fishermen

he immersed himself in the essential filipino
      poor, happy, equipped with a different kind of wisdom
      unknown in the rich nations
      he married a kalinga native and wrote a book
      a best seller entitled ‘discovering dreams’

eastwind

_________________________________________
      where goodness abounds
      there also is evil lurking
      to sow confusion and hatred among the good

where evil abounds
      there also is goodness lurking
      to reach out and convert among the evil

_________________________________________
      mahatma gandhi’s principle of non-violence
      revolves around the concept that –

peace is a more powerful weapon than war
      a smile is more powerful than a sneer
      a whisper is louder than a scream
      the calm is in the eye of the storm
      and total darkness recedes
      when a single candlelight glows

we pedestal great men, creating semi-gods
      like michael jackson and john lennon
      not knowing the fame and fortune we bestow
      would devour their spirits and consume them totally

of what use is the tall pedestal
      men tell us to scale
      when we would grow into giants
      and fall with a resounding crash

better to be a happy unknown ant
      than a sad noted giant
      there is virtue in anonymity
      and folly in popularity

• Gogs says:

So I am supposed to take this narrative that mentions no proper nouns, no specific paper , no specific people as 100% fact. OK.

• dumbestseni says:

The Santa story has touched the lives of so many children, although nobody knows about who the author is until now.
          Children from all over the world still believed that Santa is from the North Pole and that he delivers gifts to good children in the eve of Christmas.

• Gogs says:

I mention the word narrative because it really reads like a short story. A fictional short story. So if it’s made up through the eyes of “basta pinoy da best” idealist what good is it really? Pinoys love to believe they are the chosen ones. So it results in the dominant attitude here. That attitude of mediocrity and chaos. There are many naive patriots out there. None of them write for GRP.

• Gogs says:

What you are basically doing within the confines of this discussion is you are answering the question how to explain pinoy pride to a foreigner is to resort to fairy tales. Point missed as usual. Feelings are one thing. Reality is another. If feelings are stimulated by bola its still bola. And you think it’s OK citing Santa. No wonder this culture is as dysfunctional as it is.

• Jack says:

Have you heard of the Jolly Green Giant?

What is it with you people, why do you equate smallness and anonymity with being a good thing, and being a giant as a sad bad thing?

That fishball guy should have used his hard-earned money on getting an education. Then again, he made his choice, he was all about being about him. So no, I don’t see the virtue in that.

• dumbestseni says:

Truly? it is all about perception…
          and the truth? i noticed that mature audience appreciates this more.

I found this article of The Essential Filipino, posted in one of the investor’s forum that I visit daily. Many people thank the person who made the posting, and so I got interested and got back reading it again.

I then sent this article to a 46 year old lady who 15 years ago married a filthy rich man. She then called me screaming for joy! She said “I’m just crying for joy, because I found my dream 15 years ago but I was so overwhelmed with things I can afford to buy and properties we can acquire from any part of the world we wishes to live. I realized now that I became a slave of our properties because all I did was work and travel with our home builder and the decorator” She said she will sit down with the husband and will start disposing most of the properties, because she said what she actually need is only one house in the city and a cottage.

I was amazed with her reaction, and so I posted it in another forum, and here are some inspiring words of people that replied:

My, how profound! Out of the mouths of babes…So often, our dreams and desires are right in front of us and we look right past them. Reading this has caused me to step back and take stock of myself. I’d like to read that bestseller, then I’d like to go and pursue my dream! Thanks for posting, and thank you to the original author.

This is a very good article.
          If you look at all things around you, you can find much to be
          thankful about. And, it all comes from God because He gave us
          the ability to have whatever we ask.

I concur.
          My Filipino wife and children live in the Philippines and I work most of the time here in cold Canada to give them what I think is my dream, but they had it and still have it already, there, right where they are. My beautiful wife grew up in a Nepa grass hut with her eight brothers and sisters and is the happiest person I know. All loves her, including me.
          I want to go home to her now. I’m crying for her and my children now. Why am I still here?

God tells us in His Holy infallible word to be thankful for and In
          ALL things. For the things that are provided for us, and In the things that shape us and make us who we are, the experiences that we grow from determine our character. Even the things that put us through the pain in life, we grow from the moments we live.

Fear is taught, not inherent, the Dark or Evil uses this masterfully against us all every day to control and keep us down to raise them up. If we continuously work every day to stop and look at the blessings and beauty that surrounds us, we will see there is so much more to be grateful for than to fear. I have.

This is a very heartwarming story. It proves the CAN DO Filipino spirit of the Filipino people. They find happiness in small things. They stand up again despite all the disasters they go through. They make a swimming pool out of the flood waters. They know how to enjoy life despite poverty.

• ahehe says:

What kind of investors would be glad a kid wasted his hard earned money on luxuries?

Did I just miss something there?

• Gogs says:

@ahehe

The longer I see some people counter argue here, the wiser a lot of past GRP authors and posts are. What comes to mind was the piece Call to Action: sayaw Pinoy sayaw

• Gogs says:

Every writer in GRP at some point has had to identify and cut through pinoy hubris. You are basically justfying a made up story that backs up whatever point you are trying to make. A fictional character warms the fictional heart of another fictional character. And it’s not like you disclosed it as such when you presented it. By trying to argue real life examples with a made up idealized story you are pinoy hubris.

• dumbestseni says:

When I first saw this site in October, I posted a link so you guys will see what I went through answering comments from people who posted negative stuff in another forum/blog. Now I started reading here and looks like I bumped into a site where some people here has a job to defend their idol, and they don’t care if foreigners are being disgraceful to Filipino community as a whole. Did you see the comments of Jack? Why no reactions from anyone? ok, let me answer this guy for now and I will get back to you later when I have more time online

• Bill Steffen says:

Oh boy….. Here we go again. I see the victim card being played again.

• jerry romero says:

Nice story…..this one is for the books!

• dumbestseni says:

Thanks for the comment. Highly intellectual person can see it the way you saw it. i am just one of the dumb one, i found it nice only after someone told me that this story has opened her mind.

• Jack says:

I do not find anything heartwarming about a poor uneducated kid using up all his savings for an MP3 player.

CAN DO spirit? That’s precisely what I do not understand about that kid. There is nothing CAN DO about having no clothes nor shoes and using up all his savings for a little gadget that he finds pleasure with.

As to perception, I’m not sure you are very good with that either. I am a 52 year old photographer. I have seen many things in my lifetime. Yes, even half-naked kids dancing in the rain in a filthy slum somewhere in the Philippines.

I found more beauty, amazement and a humbling feeling photographing places like Banff, Jasper, Yellowstone or the rocks in Utah, should you be familiar with those places, than taking pictures of telephone wires choking a city out of what could have been pretty. I am grateful that someone almighty up there decided to create such natural beauty. Likewise I am grateful to the people who live there. They take pains to care for such natural wonders. Because of their work, such amazing beauty can be enjoyed by all.

Now that you put my mind to it, I wonder what the Filipino would do with a place like, say Peyto Lake, or Lake Louise. They’d probably destroy it with fishpens. Lots of it, like you see in lakes in the Philippines.

Well, hopefully you get to see your wife and kids soon. I hope they have “their shirts and shoes” on. Mankind by nature does stand up to any disaster, it’s called survival instincts. It’s in-bred…began with cave-men surviving dinosaurs and climate change.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

• dumbestseni says:

What made you say about these disgusting comments? Looks like something had happened that made you really hate Pilipinos.

Just remember, not all Americans are good and not all Pilipinos are bad.
    If we understand this statement by heart, we can move on with our lives and not be bothered about anything.

Let me tell you a little bit about Filipinos abroad. Your embassy in the Philippines made sure that only those who met the requirement can travel and work in your country, and that their skills are badly needed. They have undergone very strict test, be it medical or written test and interviews and so on. Most of them are just qualified and some over qualified with that education requirements. So, I just want to assure you, they are not dangerous, so nothing to be scared of Pilipinos. When you see them noisy, there could be different valid reasons, it could be because they wanted to let out the sadness in their heart being away from the family. They wanted to pretend that they are home. They always joke and it’s their way to have fun. When I was new in Europe, two of the Filipinos in our group were actually professors in Baguio City and they belong to a family that holds important position in the city. Sometimes they would be very noisy, talking loud and screaming, because they said that all their lives back home was always formal, and now they felt the freedom which could be misunderstood by all.
    Let’s not be prejudice against Pilipinos. Good for you to have found a decent place to photograph instead of The Philippines. And I am glad you realized there are better things to photograph instead of naked people.
    Good luck!

And about this Jessica Sanchez thing? When someone became popular, people starts to dig where they come from, and some even draw a family tree like that of the Royal family. I have done lots of explanations in other blogs about it, and people were bashing me. But, people are people and I just pray that they may have a clear mind so they will understand what I really mean.
    I am never fanatic about idols, but I do my social obligations to my countrymen. Whenever a celebrity will come to do some concert here, I support by selling tickets, advertising about the event, etc. I was always hoping that someday, one of these amazing celebrities will do something good for the poor kids in the Philippines. I think Jessica will do a great job doing charity works in collaboration with Charice and other big guys, because she has bumped into good people like David Foster, Clooney and Apl.de.ap who are already into helping people.

And wow! I just learned today from an international student, that those Korean that migrated to China and got citizenship when the China formed their government after the world war, it is still stated in their Chinese passport that they are from Korea even though their ancestors has settled in China since 1890. So, I am right when I did my own reasoning about proud Pinoy.

And hey Jack, I hope someday you see your dream. The first time I read this Filipino Essential thing, it did not hit me, but it did the second time.
    You don’t translate it word for word just like you did, just look at the whole big picture and beyond. I did not even see the fishball kid here. The real meaning that touched our lives is, we are so caught up with things we do everyday, and when we reached the goal which is our dream, we continued with the next dream instead of enjoying the dream we have just achieved.

Merry Christmas to all!

• Jack says:

Just a couple of quick ones here for your benefit. Loudness in a public place,like a restaurant DOES bother other people. It disturbs. Whatever reason it was, you just can’t do what you want if it means taking something away from others. It is not a CIVIL thing to do. It is rude.

PAL is an airline, if it does not give away samples of toiletries it’s not their business to do so. They do give out personal kits with toothbrush,toothpaste, a comb, and a nightpatch. Toilet amenities in the airplane lavatories are for the benefit of EVERYONE. It is not meant to be taken away by any individual. It is plain selfishness to swipe them for yourself.

Similarly, toilet amenities in YOUR hotel room is for your exclusive use. You can take them with you. Towels and hangers and other items on the other hand are charged to your room if you take them. Please know that. Hotels would clearly tell you which ones are complimentary and which ones can be bought. Usually there would be a souvenir/sundry shop in “5-Star” hotels. You can buy your souvenirs there. Just being really clear here.

You just convinced me. You surely are not the right person to explain Pinoy Pride. By the way, it is a common sight…kids and grown men sitting around half-naked in Manila, and yes they do offend the sensibilities of some people. Personally, it may look disgusting but it doesn’t bother me much.

I will credit you though with being a perfect example of what others (like Gogs), have been describing as Pinoy Hubris.

Honestly, I can’t get thru the weeds in your reply. If I didn’t know any better I would have thought you were merely trying to be obnoxious. I wont go that far though….I’m done.

I have lived thru many of my dreams, some didn’t come easy but hey, I can’t complain. It’s a wonderful life and I wish everyone else can say the same. One day. Someday.

• dumbestseni says:

If you are writing a book about Filipinos and you list down all the bad behavior that you hated about them, then maybe I will understand your point; you need it to complete your book. But that is not the case here, as you just wanted to insult Filipinos because you despised them so much.
        If their behavior is bothering you, stay away from them, just as easy as that. One thing I do not like from your posting was, you singled out Filipinos as the only group of people stealing in the aircraft. Everyone knows that stealing souvenirs in aircraft, hotel and restaurant is rampant all over the world.
        BTW, some foreigners are stealing white sands as souvenir from the beach of Boracay in the Philippines. So how do you comment on that?

You are just unfair to Filipinos; I hope you are not racist.
        I have worked the longest with Americans and I know you guys; you people hate racist. So what has happened to you?

I know of a man who was never good with colored people, but when I saw him again 20 years later, I was amazed that people working for him were colored people. I asked how did that happened? Well, they said that he had an accident one day, and his huge BMW motorcycle landed on top of him. He started calling for help, and all the local people passing by were just in a hurry and has ignored him. Fortunately, an Asian looking man came to helped and took him to the hospital. The doctor told him that if it lasted for another 10 to 15 minutes without help that came, he could have lost his legs and a worst scenario could also happen. What is sad for him is, the man that helped him did not leave contact information, so he just named him ASIA.

I just pray for you that one day, you get beautiful experience with Filipinos, so you can reverse that bad impression towards them.

Just a quote from wise word:
        You must empty your cup, so that He can fill it
        You must give away your wealth, so He can enrich you

Wise words are worth more than all the gold you can carry.

• Joyce says:

“Your PAL story? They should actually be giving samples to their passengers so that they will have souvenirs, instead of accusing customers of stealing. They have to be happy they have returning customers that fly with them almost every year. All my life abroad, I know all travelers would like to get souvenirs of some sort, a little stuff from the airplane or hotels and restaurants, especially if it has the name of that 5-star hotel, so they have something to brag about that they’ve been to that place. Frequent travelers collects bar soap, tiny bottle of perfumes, towels, hangers, etc. It is actually one way of free advertising on behalf of the company, but it is sad though that they call it stealing.” –HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Kadiri ka.

• Jack says:

The article was about Pinoys and their kind of pride, wasn’t it?

I’m not too sure about “stealing souvenirs” being rampant all over the world. I know people ask permission or pay for them. Sorry about your sand being stolen, but if you visit any National Park in America you would know not to take anything, not even a stone. There is a saying “take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time”.

I put on my observations about Pinoys and you are so tempted to pull the racist card on me. No, I do not need to make an effort to stay away from them. They need to make an effort to improve their behavior.

There are more articles on this site that describes the way you are. You should read them. Here’s one:

And another:http://getrealphilippines.com/blog/2011/03/filipinos-cannot-progress-if-they-cannot-follow-even-simple-guidelines/

I’d be careful about using the term “colored people” if I were you. But then again, what do you care. Oh….based on your posts, I’d bet the doctor at the hospital MUST be Asian or Filipino right?

• dumbestseni says:

The article was about Pinoys and their kind of pride, wasn’t it? YES Jack, and you could have started your first posting with it. If you have seen my very first posting in other blog, it was all relevant to the topic, but I have to answer comments from people showing some sort of hatred. Actually, It was kinda difficult to maintain the flow of thought when the reply is irrelevant to the topic, and so I have to use examples so I will be understood.
      What I mean is just ignore them if you are irritated with what Pinoys are doing and move on with your life. When those Big letter agencies were created to help solve the problems of the third world nations, they have little success, so how can you and me do the job? All we can do is help if we can, and avoid bombarding them with criticism that will hurt them more.
      Thank you for sending me those links, I browsed but I just have little time to read more, maybe tomorrow.
      Have you ever thought of examining your ten fingers? None of them are the same! Now look at your teeth and tongue when they don’t agree, the teeth bite the tongue. You know our country has over 85 dialects? Of course they will not understand each other. We have English language to use so we can all understand each other, but most Pilipinos who attained higher education will use difficult words that even The English people do not commonly use. So with that situation, Pilipinos with brilliant ideas will be pushed away to the corner and will feel intimidated which could prevent them from participating in important activities for the community.
      If you look at Germany or French they only use one language and if they have dialects, it will just be few. They use same words that their people understand and often used, so someone with brilliant ideas can contribute to the community and to the greatness of the country.
      BTW, any person that is not white is colored and I am one of the colored. When I was in Europe, I met a black woman who was just gorgeous, and so when I hear “blacks are beautiful” I actually reply “they are gorgeous”. and
      When I went to Luxor to see the tomb of King Tut, we were lucky to be in the group of that retired general who taught me a lot about people. He told us to shake hands with those poor local people that tourist will usually ignore. He told us that those people are truly blessed and was made stronger than us. My heart almost melted when I felt the kindness of those human beings, and yes, they are better than me, God made them stronger than any tourist who keeps complaining about heat, water, etc. So, if I make mistakes, it was just wrong choice of words
      How about you Jack, what is your ethnic background? If you don’t mind
      You must be very proud of your roots, and if you do, you are a grateful and a blessed person.
      And about Pinoy pride, actually, I have been asking all kinds of people here lately, and their reply was, Jessica is lucky that she only have 2 bloodline. Yes, she is Mexican and also Pilipino, but citizen of USA. We cannot stay away from our roots, this is why, no country will change our birth certificate when we apply for citizenship, and our parents will tell our country of origin. They said in Israel, if the mother is from Israel, that child is without question a Jewish.
      Latino pride? White pride? they have so many successful people in their country that to them this is kind of ordinary thing… but to a small nation like Philippines, when we went abroad, it was like impossible to succeed knowing that we will be competing with people who are already stable in that country. So, when one of us succeeded we are so very proud of it, we can feel that in a democratic country, we have a place to grow as well and be recognized. It is not about race, but it is about recognition. Our country is very small, but we are a member of the UNO, and that we can be very proud of because we are being recognized by big nations. It’s human instinct! Human beings wanted to be recognized.
      I hope by next year, I can continue my charity works. I would like to use also Jessica and Apl.de.ap and Charice album to raise fund. I have some good idea to do it.

BTW, here is one of my posting from another blog:
      Many argued that Jessica cannot do anything to help our poor kababayans!!!
      you guys never heard of “Candle in the Wind” by Elton John? that sold about 3.5 million copies of CDs in first week alone and 37 million copies in 4 months of that year 1997, multiply that with $12 or more. People knows it will be used for charities that Lady Diana supported around the world.
      There are so many success stories, but that was extraordinary, that until now lots of poor people around the world are benefiting from it.
      ONE GOOD SONG to make things happened overnight. That is power!
      Let’s pray that something will come up with the leadership of Jessica and the American Idol group in collaboration with our most talented successful individuals in Pinas, Manny Pacqiao, apl.de.ap. Lea Salonga, Sharon Cuneta, Charice, Arnel Pineda, and many other charity organizations in the Philippines. This is a vision
      I really hope something big will happen, so they can do something good for the poor people of poor nations.
      The truth is, after all what we have said, and all the time spent here blogging, it did not do anything good for our poor kids in the Philippines. We were so busy proving who is who and who is better. The Jessica and American idol group came and gone, and we did not ask them to perform especially for our poor kids in the Philippines. Nobody in the Philippines can think like David Foster and George Clooney who immediately asked Jessica to perform for the charity they are supporting. She has been busy singing for charity organization lately. She is a very good young lady and if we support her, she will do lots of good stuff for poor nations and The Philippines.
      Merry Christmas and Happy new year to all!

• Jack says:

“colored people” is inappropriate….”people of color” is the politically correct term. They are not interchangeable. Please do not confuse them.

Merry Christmas.

• dumbestseni says:

Thanks for correcting me.
          “People of color” emphasizes that they are “people” first, with color as descriptive attribute. I like that better, a softer language and sounds more dignified to me.

• Pagpag says:

Browse to this site and tell us your comments: yabangpinoy.com

I posted an image in case the owner/s make changes:

• jake Rosete says:

in some way she has the point when she made this statement “And the more I think about it, I start to get insulted on many levels. Ph can’t claim something that is made in USA. And they only wanted to claim Charice after people in the USA put value in her. It’s wrong for both singers. Sorry, I’m just feeling a bit indignant about the situation.”

Filipinos rarely appreciate talent when it isn’t made or being renowned outside the country, keep on bashing and make hate statements from a fan to a performer, comparison and etc, if only we keep on supporting our own artist watching their videos supporting their talents maybe there’s no more question whether we can send them to international stardom having known as the CYBER WORLD CAPITAL of the WORLD…

kasi utak talangka parin tayo… wala na ang nasyunalismo… kung si PSY sumikat nga sa BUONG mundo, di maipagkaila, PILIPNO nanood doon karamihan..

• dumbestseni says:

World Bank: Philippines is the 4th

biggest remittance recipient in 2010.

According to the report:
    1.) India amounted to $55 billion
    2.) China with $51 billion,
    3.) Mexico with $22.6 billion
    4.) Philippines with $21.3 billion.

Philippines is the smallest nation

compared to the first 3 mentioned above.

To our Kababayans, this is the

collective accomplishment of Filipinos

abroad that you can be proud of. We are

here to help our nation’s economy, so we deserved to be recognized as Filipinos no matter what.

Our very great grandfather who first set

his foot to the foreign land many many

years ago (if only he is still alive

today) will be very happy and proud to learn of the results of his prayers, big dreams, his vision, and sacrifices; that one day

those Pinoys whom he referred as his

children and grandchildren, who will follow his footsteps, will achieve huge success and recognition world wide.

Jessica Sanchez is one of the answer to

his prayers, big dreams…his vision…and

sacrifices… So please welcome Jessica home with open mind, arms and heart as one of the Pinoy pride.
    Only God knows what is her purpose and mission in life that will benefit poor nations around the world like The Philippines.

This young lady bumped into good people like David Foster, George Clooney, Apl.de.ap and many more, who are into big charity works.

So, let’s support Jessica so she can achieve huge success. The bigger she gets, the faster she can accomplish her mission, and her journey will be smooth, fun and just wonderful!

MABUHAY!

• wilbert tan says:

of course we’re proud of her. even if she grew up in america, she still has relatives here, and unlike your askew culture where kids and moviegoers are shot just for kicks, people here genuinely care for each other, and are actually happy when one of our own goes far

each culture has its own set of good and bad. we’re happy with who we are, even if ignorantly so. why don’t you stop scrutinizing our culture and go dissect your own

• Zed says:

This was so on point and i’ve also caught myself thinking the same way. I always pointed out who was filipino and successful but most of them are just not even filipino in the fact that they were born and raised elsewhere.

Glad to have some perspective on this mentality.

Charice is truly talented and I feel like that she’s one of many. There are several talented kids out there with videos that circulate on Facebook. Only if others can see the beauty in nurturing them we could have some big superstars.

• e hookah says:

Fantastic website. A lot of helpful information here.
    I’m sending it to several buddies ans also sharing in delicious.
    And obviously, thanks for your effort!

5 Trackbacks / Pingbacks