GET REAL POST
We beg to differ.

Most of us have come to expect pandemonium when it comes to the impeachment trials of our public officials and that is usually what we get. I must say that this is one for the books. We all knew that Supreme Court Chief Justice Renato Corona’s appearance in his impeachment trial would be filled with drama. But what we didn’t expect after his long-winded testimony was the added twist in the end, right before Corona excused himself from the witness stand.

The Chief Magistrate of the Supreme Court had a simple explanation for excluding his dollar deposits from his statement of asset, liability and net worth. (SALN). His dollar account was covered by the Foreign Currency Deposit Republic Act 6426, which states that dollar accounts by individuals are absolutely confidential in nature. And his challenge to his accusers, all 189 Congressmen including Senator Franklin Drilon, is to sign a waiver similar to what he signed authorizing the disclosure of his dollar accounts.

According to Corona, if they do not sign the waiver allowing the disclosure of their own dollar accounts, then his interpretation of the dollar secrecy law will be proven correct – that they are not required by law to include their dollar accounts in their own SALN. The first to react negatively to this was none other than Senator Frank Drilon who branded Corona “pathetic” and confirmed that he wouldn’t sign the waiver. Drilon made no secret of the animosity he felt for the Chief Justice by saying “I won’t stoop down to his level”. One wonders why the Senator still hasn’t inhibited himself from being a judge in the impeachment court. Surely he cannot remain objective with his kind of attitude.

After Corona’s remarkable testimony, most of his detractors are still saying that his words are not enough to exonerate him. They are so predictable, indeed. I have been saying all along that Chief Justice Corona’s testimony will not be enough to satisfy his detractors. True enough, a lot of people are now saying that he needs to provide proof to support his statements. Never mind that that was exactly what the defense team was trying to do earlier in the presentation all while being repeatedly told that only Corona could shed light to all the allegations against him. We recall that it was even Presiding Officer Senator Juan Ponce Enrile who was impatiently dispensing earlier testimonies by defense witnesses saying that they are “irrelevant”. But now Senator Enrile is adamant that Corona has to be cross-examined immediately or else his three hour testimony will be stricken off the record; this despite Corona’s poor state of health on his first day.

Private prosecutor, Mario Bautista even denied forcing Corona to testify but the records show that the prosecution has been asking in every day of the trial when the defense team will present their client. When Corona was finally narrating his own defense, however, some of the members of the prosecution team could be seen visibly joking around. It seems they were not really interested in what Corona had to say. Similar attitudes of indifference from the anti-Corona mob was noted with others saying his narration was boring them. It’s as if these people can see his mouth move but they can’t hear him over the sound of their narrow-minded views.

And what’s with some people’s cynicism after Corona fell ill? Is it too difficult for Filipinos to believe that a person could be sick? Does one have to die just to prove that he was sick? What is wrong with our society? Majority of us do not even seem to have an ounce of compassion for a man who was visibly affected by months of persecution by his political enemies. Corona was practically begging for people to hear him out plead for his innocence but his detractors can only give him scornful jeers and more accusations that he is just faking his illness or doing an a la “GMA” supposedly so he can get away from being cross-examined by the prosecution.

It is so easy for Corona’s detractors to ridicule him without bothering to consider what he and his family must be going through. I wonder how these people will handle being under scrutiny by the government, the media and the public for months. I wonder how they would feel about the idea of having the full force of the Aquino government bearing down on them and turning their life upside down.

Yes, the Filipino people’s vindictiveness is in full view once again as they prejudge Corona even before the court does similar to how they prejudged Former President Ferdinand Marcos, Joseph Estrada and Gloria Arroyo even before the court rendered a “guilty” verdict. Past witch-hunts did not change the condition of the poor in the Philippines though. It just changed the names of public officials in power.

To be fair, I can understand why some people are disappointed. Corona’s alleged walk-out from the courtroom was unexpected. It seemed like a sign that he was fed up with the Kangaroo Court. I can understand that too. If I were in his shoes, I would be mad at the Senator Judges of the impeachment court as well. Anyone with half a brain should have thrown the baseless and badly-written impeachment complaints filed by Congress out the window even before the trial started. It was probably obvious to Corona that some Senators tolerated the violations of the prosecution because they were allied with the Aquino government. How can you actually respect a court that you perceive to be too biased against you? Corona being only human can be forgiven for thinking that some of the Senator Judges were going to convict him no matter what he said or did anyway.

Most of us have come to expect a circus show when we watch our politicians conduct their “business”. Sometimes it ends with the signature street revolution. Sometimes it ends tragically with someone’s death. For Corona it can end both ways. The Aquino government with the help of the Filipino people and their total disregard for Corona’s wellbeing have already convicted him even before the trial ended. That is the way the cookie crumbs in the Philippines.

[Photo courtesy Yahoo! News.]

Ilda

In life, things are not always what they seem.

More Posts - Twitter

145 Comments

• Susan says:

My heart bleeds for CJ Corona and his family. He was just a victim of circumstances. Who are those convicting senator judges, anyway? Mas masahol pa nga sila, mas corrupt. Pare pareho lang ang mga pulitikong iyan. Kaya, Im not interested to vote. Very frustrating talaga ang Philippine politics.

• noobs says:

“I almost resigned.”
    “Nag-resign na ako matagal na, ayaw tanggapin,”
    “Kung ganoon chief eh kung wala na akong katuturan eh pinakamagaling na hayaan niyo na akong magresign,”

-Serafin Cuevas

Kailan kayo mag re-resign?

• Der Fuhrer says:

The scapegoat blame games of der grobe fuhrer EvilNoy will continue. Who will be the next victims? Only his terribly obsessed mind will pick out the next batch of perceived enemies.

Watch him as he destroys characters, reputations and lives. Watch him as he stirs up mob rule with his scheming rabble rousing, black propaganda and trial by mass media publicity. Watch his hypocrisy as he turns a blind eye to his cronies, their expensive mansions and excessive life styles. Watch him as he buys people, politicians, media establishments and personalities. Watch him paint a rosy picture of the country while truth and reality stares us in the face.

Watch Mr. BS Aquino as he forgets the economy, massive unemployment, continuing and impending blackouts, rising prices of basic commodities, rising tuition, school supplies and uniforms. Watch the dictator try to appear as squeaky clean and above reproach. Observe how he treats the enemies of the state. Before his time is up… the situation will not improve. The worst is yet to come!

• Bill Steffen says:

I think the next victim will be the Congresswoman that signed her waiver! Abnoy will make a statement to toe the line!

• PrincesaUrduja says:

YAHOO NEWS POLL
    33,400 votes as of 11:01 PM, May 23, 2012

How would you rate Corona’s testimony?

a. He was unconvincing. 72%
    b. I believe his statements. 20%
    c. I don’t really care. 8%

• Daido Katsumi says:

The 70% are nothing but trolls and idiots, all are misled by media.

It’s not something new.

• PrincesaUrduja says:

@ Daido Katsumi

Oh you mean the 72%, to be precise. And may I ask how did you know they’re “trolls and idiots”? (And I thought you stopped name-calling. Hmm.) And how did you know they’re “misled by media”?

If you can give me a factual answer, that would be “something new”. :)

• Daido Katsumi says:

Oh yeah, even most Filipinos are gullible. Hindi mo lang alam iyon.

• Der Fuhrer says:

@Princesa Urduja

Surveys can and have been manipulated by the yellow pharisees. You do know what a swarm attack is like? Saturating a survey site is old news. I have seen this trend in sympathetic yellow media, comments, the communications group and survey firms controlled by BS Aquino. By the way, do not use the handle Princesa Urduja. You are not a heroine as your motives are not noble.

• PrincesaUrduja says:

@ Daido Katsumi

And still no FACTUAL answer? What’s new.

“Oh yeah, even most Filipinos are gullible.”

Let’ see. According to the survey, 72 % of 33,400 = 24, 048. That’s how many did NOT believe Corona’s conditional-waiver and ill-mannered walk-out turned hypoglycemic-acting testimony. Now the gullible ones were 20 % of 33,400 = 6,680. So I guess the GULLIBLE FILIPINOS were overwhelmingly OUTNUMBERED. Don’t you think so?

“Hindi mo lang alam iyon.”

And the survey says? :)

• PrincesaUrduja says:

@ Der Fuhrer

“Surveys can and have been manipulated by the yellow pharisees.”

Yeah, says Corona, Corona’s wife, Corona’s lawyers, and Corona’s fanatics. :)

“By the way, do not use the handle Princesa Urduja. You are not a heroine as your motives are not noble.”

Is someone here turning into a green-eyed monster? LOL Well I don’t pretend to be “heroine” nor “noble”. Sorry if I’d come across as such. :)

• Daido Katsumi says:

@PrincesaUrduja: You got no idea on surveys and crap. What DerFuhrer says it’s true that surveys can be biased so your argument is invalid. And just because we prefer the rule of law or a fair trial doesn’t mean we are pro-Corona or something. :)

If surveys are not biased, then why the hell many have voted for Noynoy in office? People are manipulated by media giants like ABS-CBN and even Inquirer. Heck, even the SWS and other surveys were also owned by the Aquino’s allies and friends.

Think about it: people blamed GMA because the media highlighted their faults and made her supposedly anti-masa. While the media who are allies with the Aquinos won’t look critically on their mistakes, including the current president’s ineptitude. See the bias?

Do more research, dumba$$. Bravo for your sheer idiocy and ignorance, including your vindictiveness. :D

• PrincesaUrduja says:

@ Daido Katsumi

Again, still no factual answer? Now we know who really manifests “ignorance”. LOL

“Do more research, dumba$$.”

And that’s what I call a comment of heartfelt “vindictiveness” and absolutely “sheer idiocy”. Congratulations. :)

• Daido Katsumi says:

@PrincesaUrduja:

Well, you have just prove yourself as a TROLL. Those I have stated are factual answers because that is what is happening today. People are easily being manipulated by the media so instead of using their brains, they believe on what they see and read.

Congratulations, you’re still ignorant after all. Sorry if I’m not drinking the Yellow kool-aide like you do. If you took off your Yellow glasses off, then you’ll get my point. :D

• PrincesaUrduja says:

@ Daido Katsumi

Yeah, convince yourself more. :)

“Those I have stated are factual answers because that is what is happening today.”

So far, the only thing “factual” here is your fondness for NAME-CALLING.

“People are easily being manipulated by the media so instead of using their brains, they believe on what they see and read.”

Well so far, I do NOT believe everything I’ve read on mainstream media, and even on this blog. I guess I don’t get manipulated easily.

So after name-calling me a “troll”, now you’re trying to color me as “Yellow”? Just because I differ from your point of view? Talking about jumping into conclusion. So if I’m pro-Pnoy as you (and others here) insinuated, then it only confirms my assumption that you (and others here) are a certified CORONA FANATIC. See how your brainless thinking gets back at you? :)

• Daido Katsumi says:

@PrincesaUrduja: Just because I prefer the rule of law and and seeing the bigger picture doesn’t mean I’m a Corona fanatic.

It seems you just wanted the CJ to be convicted. Those who are vindictive and malicious are those who are brainless. You said that you don’t want to be manipulated yet you sent questionable sources to convince us that Corona should be convicted. Raissa Robles’ blog doesn’t even count because it seems that it has ‘manipulate’ the likes of you.

Those who accuse someone like myself as a ‘Corona fanatic’ are those who have squatter mentality and just believes on questionable sources as truth. Does that make sense? :P

• Hyden Toro says:

Porky Drilon; the Liar Tupas; the 188 Congressmen will never sign any Waiver, to show their dollar accounts. Takot sila, sa maramimg perang binigay ni Noynoy Aquino sa kanila…this is your taxpayers money at work…

• jcc says:

i am the only one writing in my blog so my perception is not a product of group thinking.

• ustestude says:

“In other words, you cannot prove that Corona was lying and that his savings are ill-gotten.”

I beg to disagree Ma’am. Proving someone lying when you hardly know the person, say you got to know her for only a day or a week then pass judgment on him, that is indeed too premature.

But with Corona po, I think he is hogging the headlines on all broadsheets and tabloids and blogsites for more than half a year na. I tried reading both those parties praising him and those criticizing him but if I put two and two together, it just does not compute. Weighing things including his recent walkout (let’s call a spade a spade please), talagang it points to his guilt.

I made up my mind na. Like the old saw, “if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck….”

Like Ms. Ilda, do we need to lift our skirts just to prove that we are both ladies?

• Ilda says:

So instead of basing your judgement on the court proceedings, you base it on what you read from all broadsheets and tabloids? Parang gusto kong matawa. And this is your proof that Corona is lying? C’mon. The problem with your reasoning is that it is base on emotion. You should try being more objective. It’s already been highlighted again and again in court that media networks have been publishing unverified reports just to influence the public. It is unfortunate that you are one of those who have been influenced by the media.

• ustestude says:

“So instead of basing your judgement on the court proceedings, you base it on what you read from all broadsheets and tabloids?”

– Don’t forget I included blogsites like this. I did not include TV but I get to from time to time, usually channel 7 because it’s clearer.

“Parang gusto kong matawa.”

– I don’t object. We all have our funny bones. Actually po, mas natatawa ako kay Corona. Marami pong inconsistencies sa sinabi nya.

“And this is your proof that Corona is lying? C’mon.”

– How he conducted himself sa Impeachment Court. Parang gusto ko na ngang maniwala nung nag-speech sya for three hours atsaka ng tumindig, umalis at nakipagkamay pa.Kitang-kita naman sa TV. On queue nga po pati yung asawa nya. Upon his return, parang ibang tao yung nagsalita half an hour after. Nakakasawa na po yung “St. Luke Syndrome”. At least this time sa Medical City sya dumerecho.

“The problem with your reasoning is that it is base on emotion.”

I don’t think so. Emotion is pitying him because he is appealing to your emotions even though the he is not good in acting.

“It’s already been highlighted again and again in court that media networks have been publishing unverified reports just to influence the public.”

I thought mayroon kayong ineendorse na mga media like channel 7, philippine star, etc and I read in your past articles you believe in JPE and Sen Santiago. Why all of a sudden nilahat nyo na sila. San nyo po ba nakukuha ang mga facts nyo ng mabasa ko rin. Direct knowledge po ba?

“It is unfortunate that you are one of those who have been influenced by the media.”

Palagay ko, tayong lahat influenced by media. It’s just a matter of how we interpret different views. Kailangan po open-minded tayo. Kitang-kita naman natin ang leniency na binigay kay Corona sa Impeachment Court, tatlong oras, walang objections, tapos parang “hit and run”. Ang di ko maintindihan, bakit di nyo po makita yun.

“I just want to make myself clear. I am not defending Corona. I am trying to uphold the rule of law. Unfortunately, not a lot of Filipinos can understand the concept, which is why you guys think that I am defending him.”

If you so say that you are upholding the Rule of Law, then you should be seeing his latest acts as contemptuous and disrespectful. You should at least say that as it is rather than concurring that such is a brilliant act which is quite appalling.

Sa tingin ko more than six months to decide is long enough. Either you are indecisive or you share a certain similarity with the person.

• itchyBB says:

If you would allow me, the reason why there are people who do not believe he is guilty is because:

1. impeachment was railroaded in congress
          2. prosecution publicly harassed and released information about the case

as far as I know, just like in sales, you need to sell your evidences (product) for people to buy from you. at first they were able to sell it, but since the quality of the product is poor, people started to question the seller and the product itself.

about the length of the trial, again, it was not the defense who prolonged it. the lack of solid evidence and fishing of data from the prosecution did that. you cannot expect a defendant to disclose information that was not even brought up in court, that is incrimination. what a defendant can simply do is debunk the information provided by the prosec.
          prosec used the media and emotion, you cannot hang the defendant to appeal to the people in the same manner. that’s double standards.

• DannyD says:

If I may I would like to butt in and am rebutting the point raise by itchyBB.

(ib)1. impeachment was railroaded in congress

– CJ’s position was “railroaded”

(ib)2. prosecution publicly harassed and released information about the case

– SC, through the CJ publicly harassed De Lima and and through Midas Marquez, released misleading information about the compliance of GMA with the TRO.

(ib)3. evidences were “anonymously” acquired from a small lady, left inside a gate, etc.

The Defense team hastily convened for a press conference on an “anonymous” information regarding the bribing of senators. They later recanted their statements and apologized

(ib)4. data from LRA and AMLC were not authenticated and properly reviewed – as an analyst and presenter, it is very crucial that the data is reviewed to properly provide conclusions and solutions to issues

The CJ’s testimonies were all hearsay and inuendoes and will not stand the test of cross examination hence his planned granned exit but the Impeachment Court did not buy it so he came back via wheelchair in the guise of a vegetable without the mental faculties to prove his claims.

(ib)5. there was no proof in any of the evidences that showed the amounts were ill-gotten

Accordingly, when the accounts or amounts are not declared in the SALN, that qualifies as ill gotten. Therefore, the burden of proof lies on the CJ himself. But until today, no convincing counter yet. Just theatrics.

So itchyBB, double standards? Read again.

• Ilda says:

@DannyD

CJ’s position was “railroaded”

And you think it was not, because? Fortunately, CJ’s position is backed up by a lot of people’s testimonies. One of them is Tobias Tiangco:

In his testimony, Congressman Tobias Tiangco went on and on about President Noynoy Aquino’s role in the railroading of the impeachment of Chief Justice Corona. He was outright confirming the allegations that the impeachment of Corona was backed by the president’s orders and that the Congressmen were not even allowed to ask questions during the Power Point presentation outlining the hastily and badly-written articles of impeachment. It was damning, indeed. His testimony is consistent with what he said in his privilege speech right after he left the majority bloc in the House of Representatives. Read the following excerpts:

“I do not want trouble with the most powerful man in the country. If the President wants GMA (former President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo) jailed for her alleged sins, I am one with him. But in pursuing justice, it must be done in a manner that does not destroy our institutions and more importantly the co-equal status guaranteed bythe Constitution,” Tiangco said.

He claimed that during Monday’s 2:30 p.m. majority caucus at the House, Speaker Feliciano Belmonte Jr. only gave lawmakers two choices: sign or not sign the resolution impeaching Corona.

He said Belmonte allegedly did not give the congressmen the chance to question the resolution and read and assess the pieces of evidence against Corona.”And the worst part of it all is that no questions would be entertained,” he said.

Filing of complaints was not in compliance with the law:

Article XI Section 3(2) states that:

“A verified complaint for impeachment may be filed by any Member of the House of Representatives or by any citizen upon a resolution of endorsement by any Member thereof, which shall be included in the Order of Business within ten session days, and referred to the proper Committee within three session days thereafter.”

Your statement is so lame. You’re still using the line CJ is the only judge calling the shots in the SC. There were 8 judges who voted yes to issuing a TRO against the travel ban on GMA. And it’s also lame of you to claim that Midas Marquez harassed De Lima. It is the other way around. It was De Lima who was in contempt of court when she defied the TRO issued by the SC.

WRONG. It wasn’t from an anonymous source. They just refused to name the source for confidentiality. That was nothing compared to all the violations of the prosecution including the Ombudsman.

His testimonies are backed up by other people’s testimonies including Tobias as mentioned above, Congressman Farinias also said that he didn’t bother signing the impeachment complaints because it was badly written and he wasn’t a fast reader. Do you think other Congressmen who are not even lawyers can read better than Farinias? Check your facts.

He is going to be back today for cross-examination, right? Why don’t you hold on to your opinion about whether his testimonies will stand the test of the cross or not? Don’t be impatient to pass judgement.

Do you have a problem with sick people on wheelchairs? I hope you don’t get sick one day coz you might need to ride on one too.

You are basically saying that the prosecution was unsuccessful in proving that he has ill-gotten wealth. Don’t forget about the Foreign Currency Deposit Republic Act 6426 or the Dollar Secrecy Law.

Do yourself a favor and just watch the show this afternoon before writing more fallacies.

• ItchyBB says:

@DannyD
          Regardless of how you may feel about the CJ, it is still the prosec job’s to PROVIDE solid, indisputable evidence. Prosecution ang nagdala ng kaso hindi ang akusado.
          Are you telling me that after verifying that there are no 45 titles but only 5 it did not give you any reason to wonder WHY and HOW they had the guts to disclose it in public? Oh and yeah, Tupas lied in court saying they did not do it. hmmm…
          All I am saying is they are not good sellers. Their product is of poor quality that is why the nation is divided about this. Not just neutral but DIVIDED. Kung baga sa Coke and Pepsi, I have my preference but I do not mind drinking either, unlike Hermes and LV, I would spend my money on Hermes because of the quality of their bags.
          There are some people who wants them to PROVE that the CJ is really impeachable. But just like what I said, in a manner that is lawful and realistic. Not anonymous sources–by the way nauna sila sa anonymous strategy na yan.

“But until today, no convincing counter yet. Just theatrics.”
          – the question there is, what is there to counter? If you can cite all evidences that needs to be countered then do so.
          – theatrics you say. hmmm small lady, LRA head caught unprepared, unauthenticated AMLC data, illegally acquired bank documents, willingness to destroy the banking industry just to destroy a single person, etc.

Dear, do not take me and other “fans” of this trial stupid. Like what I said in my previous comments, I too was disappointed to see CJ step out of the stand, but I’d like to give him a chance to explain himself just as I have given the prosecution my patience to authenticate and give an undisputed evidence which they have failed to do so this pass few months.
          So far, the only problem of the defense that has been noticed by many is that they know they have chances of losing because of emotional biases, that the Senator-Judges may well decide based on their political loyalties and it is quite becoming obvious that people would rather believe in grandiose exposes than evidence.
          Sabi nga sa CSI – evidences do not lie that is why we need to work hard to prove that the accused is guilty beyond reasonable doubt.
          I have been neutral about all this and if you see, I am simply stating the reasons why people believe the CJ instead of the prosecutions.
          You’re telling me to read again? Better you do it because I am not in anyway insisting on my POV unlike what you did.

• DannyD says:

I think all your counter arguments are so lame. So lame in fact you do not even know what a walk out is even if it walks out of your face. When such outright, in-your-face, no-brainer of a stunt is pulled out in front of national TV and you still can not decide (you simply rely on Corona to say that he pulled a dog which was in fact a rabbit), no amount of bias or unprejudiced news or information can straighten your distorted mind.

Walk out…..alleged?! For crying out loud, where’s the common sense there?

• Ilda says:

@DannyD

You have to be more specific when you say “I think all your counter arguments are so lame”. Cite specific reasons why you think so. Otherwise, it is not lame. ;)

Like what I said to the other poser, the court has accepted Corona’s explanation and apology. They have moved on to more important things. It looks like people like you are just scraping the bottom of the barrel. You are just hanging on to Tuesday’s perceived gaffe. Well, it has all been clarified and it’s all good.

• Impaler Triumphant says:

More net articles calling out for the enlightenment of the Filipino people! Meanwhile I’m going to sit here and learn the arcane art of computer hacking so that I could rejoin Anonymous Philippines and hack all the biased media.

Mainstream media: if your content isn’t dumbing the Filipino people, then you don’t need to worry about us.

We are Anonymous. We are Legion. We do not forgive. We do not forget. Expect us.

• ahehe says:

May mga natutulog pa sa pansitan. Tsk tsk tsk.